Integral to the YWHO integrated model of youth care is a commitment to youth and family engagement, and their involvement in key decisions – from planning to implementation and program evaluation. By actively involving youth and family members, YWHO will better understand what works, what doesn’t, and why – leading to improved outcomes, enhanced youth ownership, and responsiveness to the changing needs of youth.
Youth and family members are encouraged to participate in the YWHO initiative in many ways, including:
- attending/participating in community events or webinars;
- becoming involved in their local community’s hub initiative;
- identifying key service gaps and needs;
- conducting ongoing local outreach and consultation; and
- getting involved with evaluation efforts.
Youth and family members are also encouraged to participate in governance and decision-making at local and provincial levels by serving on various youth and family working groups and on advisory committees.